Connect with us

Politics

Britain says Russia having problems mobilising 300,000 reservists to fight Ukraine

Published

 

on

Russian mobilisation billboard

Britain doubts Russia’s ability to implement the ordered partial mobilisation of 300,000 reservists for the war against Ukraine.

“Russia is likely to struggle with the logistical and administrative challenges of even mustering the 300,000 personnel,” the Ministry of Defence said.

The Ministry said this in London on Thursday in its daily intelligence update from the war.

“It will probably attempt to stand up new formations with many of these troops, which are unlikely to be combat effective for months,” it added.

  Why I am Coming into Enugu Politics

The ministry viewed the partial mobilisation as a sign of Russian weakness.

“The move is effectively an admission that Russia has exhausted its supply of willing volunteers to fight in Ukraine.

“Even this limited mobilisation is likely to be highly unpopular with parts of the Russian population.

“Putin is accepting considerable political risk in the hope of generating much-needed combat power,” it said.

President Vladimir Putin had ordered the partial mobilisation of 300,000 reservists the previous day to plug manpower gaps in Russia’s war in Ukraine.

  UNGA77: Buhari departs for New York today

The British Ministry of Defence had been publishing daily intelligence updates on the course of the war since it began at the end of February.

This was the British government’s way of countering the Russian narrative and keeping allies abreast of developments.

Moscow had on several occasions accused London of a targeted disinformation campaign.

(dpa/NAN)

I've been a freelance web developer and blogger for a while now and have a passion for both. Like most men, I'm a football lover; I prefer playing to watching matches.Personally, I believe with dedication there's no limit to what we can achieve. Yes, we all have the power and ability to do that.

Politics

APC candidate, Bola Tinubu off to London

Published

 

on

Tinubu

The presidential candidate of the All Progressives Congress (APC), Bola Tinubu, has travelled to the United Kingdom for a meeting earlier scheduled for last week.

It was learnt that the former Lagos State Governor, Tinubu will meet with an unnamed group in the UK and he is expected back into the country before the official flag-off of the presidential campaign.

Meanwhile, the flag-off of the APC presidential election will hold in Ilorin, the Kwara State capital, within the week.

Campaigns for the 2023 national elections will officially kick off on 28 September ahead while that of governorship and state houses of assembly will commence on 12 October, according to the Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC).

According to some aides of Mr Tinubu, the meeting was scheduled for last week, but the controversies that trailed the composition of the Presidential Campaign Council (PCC) led to its postponement.

The sudden trip has also fuelled speculations of another medical trip or meeting with Governor Nyesom Wike of Rivers State and members of his group, some of who are already in the UK.

Last month, Mr Tinubu had a covert meeting with the aggrieved members of the Peoples Democratic Party led by Mr Wike and some other governors.

  Why I am Coming into Enugu Politics

“Yes, he (Tinubu) travelled to the UK yesterday. He is to meet with some people in the UK. He ought to have left the country last week, but he had to postpone it because of the whole campaign council list. The meeting is not with the Wike’s group and not for a medical reason.

“Yes the consultation with Wike and others is still ongoing, but this is not about that. A group invited him for a meeting. For now, I cannot disclose the identity of the group,” the source said.

Recall that the PCC list generated controversy among the Progressives Governors Forum (PGF) headed by Governor Abubakar Bagudu of Kebbi State. The governors nominated five persons each to be in the campaign council.

However, some of the governors were left fuming when the 422-member list was released by the secretary of the campaign council, James Faleke, a federal lawmaker from Lagos State. Their nominees were not properly captured in the list.

According to a top source in the party, the Director-General of the APC PCC, Simon Lalong and Mr Faleke compiled the list which either excluded the nominees of the governors or wrongfully designated them.

  UNGA77: Buhari departs for New York today

The source familiar with the matter added that a comprehensive list is being generated by Messrs Bagudu and Faleke.

“The position of the governors unsettled Mr Tinubu. The governors were very angry. The governor has a Whatsapp group. They dropped five names of people who will represent their respective states in the campaign council. These names were passed to Messrs Lalong and Faleke (but) unfortunately, a lot happened along the way.

“The resolution is that a new list will be released in the next couple of days. Those nominees of governors will assume their intended designations at the directorate level. There are the heads of directorates and members of directorates. Tinubu could not leave until yesterday morning as he had to resolve the matter,” the source said.

Meanwhile, the PCC, via its spokesperson, Bayo Onanuga, in a statement, said all members of the directorate are to report at the secretariat of the council on Wednesday for a special prayer to commence the flag-off of the campaign and participate in a peace walk.

  PDP calls emergency meeting, after Wike's camp withdraws from Atiku's campaign

Controversies had trailed the release of the party’s campaign council list on Saturday. There were speculations that Vice President Yemi Osinbajo declined membership of the committee due to his opposition to APC’s Muslim-Muslim presidential ticket.

However, the spokesperson of the PCC, Festus Keyamo, in a statement, said President Muhammadu Buhari ordered the exclusion of Mr Osinbajo and the Secretary to the Government of the Federation (SGF), Boss Mustapha, to enable them to concentrate on governance.

Continue Reading

Politics

APC Ghana faults list, demands inclusion

Published

 

on

APC flag

The All Progressives Congress (APC) in Ghana has faulted the party’s Presidential Campaign Council (PCC) list, insisting that it should be inclusive of a member from each of the diaspora chapters.

Chairman of APC in Ghana, Oghenosa Micheleti in a statement in Lagos on Monday, said that a member from each country chapter of the party should be included in the council and not be represented by just two persons.

“We have a Forum of APC Diaspora Chairmen that have been representing the party and projecting its image in our various countries and therefore, we should not be relegated in an election that is the most powerful in the country.

“The diaspora representation should be all-encompassing. Inclusion will make everyone work as a team to achieve the ultimate aim.

“Here in Ghana, we have inaugurated a committee for the Tinubu/Shettima campaign and it is sad that none of us will be accommodated in the PCC,” he said.

  Why I am Coming into Enugu Politics

The APC on Saturday released a 422-member Presidential campaign council list ahead of the commencement of its 2023 presidential campaign to be headed by President Muhammadu Buhari.

Secretary of the council, James Faleke, said all nominees are to pick their appointment letters on Monday at the APC presidential campaign office.

The Director, Media and Publicity, APC PCC, Bayo Onanuga, said in a statement on Sunday evening that the inauguration earlier slated for Monday had been shifted to Wednesday.

Meanwhile, in the list, two persons from the UK are to head the Diaspora Affairs in the APC presidential campaign council as Chairman and Secretary respectively.

The Ghana APC chairman said that this leaves out members in other countries.

  UNGA77: Buhari departs for New York today

Mr Micheleti said that the APC in Ghana participated actively in the election that brought in President Muhammadu Buhari in 2015 and replicated the same in 2019, adding that “We did that for President Buhari and will do same  for our leader, Sen. Bola Tinubu.

“We erected billboards in Ghana and brought Nigerians together to rally support for Buhari, and even paid for Nigerians to return home to vote. We will do so again for the Tinubu/Shettima ticket.”

The chairman, however, appealed to the party leadership to review the list with a view to ensuring that those who ought to be in the council were swiftly included.

“There are many diaspora associations that are already creating division in the diaspora.

“Some of them are not enshrined in the APC constitution, they are parallel organs and shouldn’t be allowed to operate or parade themselves as representing  the entire APC diaspora members.

  PDP calls emergency meeting, after Wike's camp withdraws from Atiku's campaign

“Those organisations, if not properly handled, may bring division and tension into the party in the diaspora,” Mr Micheleti said, appealing to the party leadership to urgently look into the demands with a view to ratifying the issues raised.

(NAN)

Continue Reading

Politics

Attackers of ex-Nasarawa commissioner will be arrested: Police

Published

 

on

Attackers of ex-Nasarawa commissioner will be arrested: Police

The police command in Nasarawa has vowed to arrest the gunmen who attacked Musa Ibrahim-Abubakar, ex-commissioner for environment and natural resources, in Doma local government area.

Police spokesman Ramhan Nansel stated this on Monday in Lafia.

Mr Nansel said the attack on the former commissioner occurred on September 7, on Rukubi-Doma Road. He said the police had begun an investigation and would not relent until the perpetrators were arrested and brought to justice.

Narrating his ordeal to journalists from his hospital bed, Mr Ibrahim-Abubakar thanked God for sparing his life. The victim, the New Nigeria Peoples Party (NNPP) candidate for the Doma South House of Assembly seat, said the attack occurred on his way from Rukubi town, where he went to donate relief material to flood victims.

  Why I am Coming into Enugu Politics

“After the donation, I was returning from Rukubi town to Doma at about 5:30 p.m., around Igbabo village, when about nine gunmen opened fire on me from different directions,” stated the politician. “One of the bullets hit the mobile phone in my breast pocket, with another hitting my elbow and my back.”

  UNGA77: Buhari departs for New York today

He added, “I was able to escape by the whiskers to Igbabo village where the villagers tended to me and took me to the hospital for proper treatment.”

Mr Ibrahim-Abubakar also mentioned that several bullets had already been removed from his body, with the doctor working to remove one more lodged under his ribs.

He alleged that the attack might be the handiwork of his political opponents, who felt threatened by his growing popularity. The former commissioner recently defected from the All Progressives Congress (APC) to NNPP and picked the party’s ticket for the Doma South state constituency election in 2023.

  PDP calls emergency meeting, after Wike's camp withdraws from Atiku's campaign

(NAN)

Continue Reading

Latest Posts

Kidnap kingpin John Ewa paraded in Yenagoa Kidnap kingpin John Ewa paraded in Yenagoa
HeadlinesSeptember 26, 2022

Kidnap kingpin John Ewa paraded in Yenagoa

Naija News John Ewa, the Bayelsa born suspected kidnap kingpin, who was arrested in Abuja and alleged to be responsible...

Tinubu Tinubu
PoliticsSeptember 26, 2022

APC candidate, Bola Tinubu off to London

The presidential candidate of the All Progressives Congress (APC), Bola Tinubu, has travelled to the United Kingdom for a meeting...

Benin group thanks Muhammadu Buhari for bestowing national honours on Benin group thanks Muhammadu Buhari for bestowing national honours on
NewsSeptember 26, 2022

Benin group thanks Muhammadu Buhari for bestowing national honours on Oba Ewuare II

Naija News Today The coalition of Benin socio-cultural groups has hailed President Muhammadu Buhari for approving the conferment of national...

Police nab two hired to kill 85-year-old man Police nab two hired to kill 85-year-old man
MetroSeptember 26, 2022

Nigerian government begins labour, factory inspection in Akwa Ibom

Metro News Happening In Nigeria Today The Federal Ministry of Labour and Employment has begun the National Integrated Labour and...

APC flag APC flag
PoliticsSeptember 26, 2022

APC Ghana faults list, demands inclusion

The All Progressives Congress (APC) in Ghana has faulted the party’s Presidential Campaign Council (PCC) list, insisting that it should...

Holly Taylor net worth Holly Taylor net worth
BiographySeptember 26, 2022

Holly Taylor Net Worth

Holly Taylor Net Worth What are Holly Taylor net worth and salary? According to our source, Holly Taylor has an...

Olusegun Obasanjo to commission 29km road in Akwa Ibom Olusegun Obasanjo to commission 29km road in Akwa Ibom
NewsSeptember 26, 2022

Olusegun Obasanjo to commission 29km road in Akwa Ibom

Naija News Today A former president of Nigeria, President Olusegun Obasanjo, would today, Monday, Commissíon the dualized 29km Etinan-Ndon Eyo...

Police nab two hired to kill 85-year-old man Police nab two hired to kill 85-year-old man
MetroSeptember 26, 2022

Bandits kill police inspector, abduct several passengers in Katsina

Metro News Happening In Nigeria Today Emerging reports suggest that a Police Inspector identified as Idris Musa has been killed...

oneplus nord watch details oneplus nord watch details
TechSeptember 26, 2022

OnePlus Nord Watch Details Revealed Ahead of Launch in India

OnePlus recently teased the Nord Watch in India suggesting that it will launch soon. While a launch date is still...

Police nab two hired to kill 85-year-old man Police nab two hired to kill 85-year-old man
MetroSeptember 26, 2022

Bandits kill 3, kidnap 22, snatch bikes in Kaduna

Metro News Happening In Nigeria Today Bandits atracked farmers in different communities in Birnin-Gwari LGA of Kaduna State, killing 3....

Trending

Copyright © 2022 Naija News 247 - Breaking Nigeria Newspaper News For Today